Blogs I Love Math Literature Freebies About Home

Sunday, April 20, 2014

Fun Free Computer Games: Coin Combo

If you read my blog post last week about activities for counting coins, you know my second graders have been hard at work learning about money.  I love having many resources to pull from when working with kids on a particular skill.  I have also used you tube videos and done activities in morning meeting to help my kids master money.

Today I want to share with you a fun and free computer game that my students have been using to further practice this important skill.

Coin Combo

In this fun and fast paced game, coins fall from above into rows and columns.  Your goal is to try to make a particular amount of money using the coins you have available.  It is a race against time because if any of your columns fill completely with coins, the game is over.  There are three levels to progress through and each gets progressively harder.  Take a look:

Level 1 starts off with just nickles and pennies. The game asks you to make smaller amounts, mostly under 20 cents. This level makes the game accessible to younger children and I often let first graders try this game.  

Level 2 ups the difficulty a bit by adding dimes and asking for higher amounts to be made.  It is still very accessible to younger children at this level and I have had first through third graders like playing this game.

Level 3 is the final and most challenging level.  Quarters are now part of the game and the amounts asked for increase quite a bit.  A first grader would have to have excellent money skills to play at this level.  This is a great level for kids in grades 2 and up to master.  

The pace of this game is fast and it keeps it fun.  If you "lose" you can just click play again and get right back into it.  It doesn't take a lot of time to teach and is ready to use.

Check it out!

This free set of number puzzles make a great follow up to Coin Combo!


Check out these other ideas for teaching money!

3 comments:

  1. You find the greatest tools. By the way, I love your new look. Barb is awesome!
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is the best! I am so happy to have be done with the generic template. This feels so much more like me!

      Delete
  2. They're all so pretty! Great activities for kids. These days, most would just keep them occupied...and quiet playing games on their ipads

    Teach Your Kids for Eating Food

    ReplyDelete